Thursday, November 13, 2008

An Exciting Decision...

What a big day today was. As most of you know I went back to work after 12 weeks of maternity leave and it has not been an easy transition for me. Chris tried to get me to not go back at all but I felt like I had to try. Chris and I have been talking about day care and how much it costs and how it will actually cost us money for me to work (since as a Para-pro we do not get much of a check). When I was on leave I felt like I had so much more time with the older boys since I did everything I needed to do during the day and then when they were home from school I could focus on helping with homework and just be there with the kids. Since I have been back to work I have not been able to be that mom. I have had to do everything when I got home and often felt guilty because I could not sit with Avery and help him when he needed it because there was so much to do, I was very overwhelmed. With Chris’ support, I have finally decided that I am going to join the world of those stay at home moms and be home with the kids. Of course there is only one home full time because the other two are in school but they will still benefit from me staying home for sure.
One thing I am going to miss a lot is seeing the kids during the day. I was in the lunchroom with Avery when he was in there so I see him all the time! This nine weeks Conner is in the classroom next to me so I see him most days when he pops in to say hello on his way to health. They both assured me that they would be OK without me here (I think that part will be harder on me than them for sure) but they did have the concern of “how will I get my ice cream money?” I guess that is something that I will have to work out…
As of right now my last day of work will be Friday, November 28. I am looking forward to being home and spending my days with the kids but on the other hand I am a little nervous about leaving. I have been with the school system since 2001 when I took the leave from Delta due to the events of 9/11. In that time I have gotten used to having that check come in with my name on it, as little as it was (the check not my name). I guess I am going to have to adjust to not having a check but I think that being home with the kids is better than that check any day.
….. now maybe I will find a little extra time to keep up the blog since we are getting to the stages where Kennedi is doing more and more. She is so fun to be around and I and so thankful that I have the opportunity to stay home and that I do not have to miss any of it!!

No comments: