Friday, April 30, 2010

Pregnancy update

I guess I will take a few minutes to update on the pregnancy as of the 29 week mark. Monday of last week I was at the doctors office for my routine 28 week appointment. You know the one where you get to drink the lovely tasting liquid and sit around for an hour waiting for them to draw blood for the glucose tolerance test (I wrote about this a few days ago)...

Well, I failed!!

On Wednesday I was back at the doctor's office drinking even more of the great tasting (sense the sarcasm?) liquid but this time I got to sit around for 3 hours while they drew blood four times. Lucky Chris was not able to go with me since he had to work. He does not like missing my doctors appointments but he did not seem too upset about not being able to sit around for 3 hours with me waiting.

Well, test results came back yesterday and once again... I failed!

This time only 2 out of the 4 tests were elevated but if two or more are raised they treat you as having gestational diabetes. Oh wonderful... bye bye Starbucks, bye bye ice cream, bye bye cookies.... at least for the next 11 weeks.

Maybe she will come early and I will only have to do this for the next 8 weeks or so... wouldn't that be great?!?!

Today I went to the diabetes counseling at the hospital and learned all about gestational diabetes. I also learned that this new way of eating is not going to be too bad. I would not want to do it forever but 11 weeks is nothing!!

So... I have followed the meal plans and eaten when I am supposed to and so far so good. I have to test two hours after every meal and the two times I have had to test I have been in range. Lets hope that continues.

I guess for now every time I want that cookie or that ice cream I will just think about how I birth almost 9 lb babies with out having gestational diabetes and will remember that if its not controlled this baby could be even bigger. That should put and end quickly to me wanting those sweets!!

No comments: